Leonard Kaae Sr., senior vice president and general manager of Guam-based Black Construction Corp., received the 2017 Guam Business Magazine Executive of the Year award Saturday night.
Kaae’s selection was announced at a gala at the Hyatt Regency Guam.
He’s been with Black Construction and its affiliates for almost four decades, according to the announcement of his award.
A subsidiary of Tutor Perini Corp., Black Construction was awarded the $97 million project at the A. B. Won Pat International Airport Guam for the airport terminal’s structural upgrades and an additional passenger corridor, in December 2016, Tutor Perini previously announced. Black’s parent projected revenue of about $5 billion in 2017, the company has stated.
Black also has received a national award for the complex, $43 million project to close and cap off Ordot Dump.
In 2015, the company completed the $29 million, federally funded seaport expansion and renovation for the Port Authority of Guam.
In 2014, the company completed the $74 million North Ramp parking project on Andersen Air Force Base, for the Marine Corps’ MV-22 Osprey aircraft.
Kaae Sr. also is on the management team of Black Micro Corp.; E.E. Black Ltd. in the Philippines; and Black Construction/Mace International Joint Venture, Diego Garcia.
The annual gala is a fundraising event for the Guam chapter of the American Red Cross.
Kaae, 66, has been with the Black Group for almost 40 years, taking his expertise throughout the Pacific Rim, including Hawaii, Guam, Micronesia and the Philippines, according to a press release from Guam Business Magazine.
He has resided on Guam since 1985. Kaae leads a team of 1,259 employees on any number of million-dollar projects at a time.
Black’s recent projects include work at the Chuuk International Airport, the ongoing construction of the Guam hotel Tsubaki Towers; and Matson, Inc.’s new Guam headquarters.
Through Kaae’s management, Black was awarded the national Associated Builders and Contractors prestigious Eagle Award three times. It is the only company from the Micronesian region to have done so.
Black has been named the Guam Contractors Association “Contractor of the Year” 15 times.
The other nominees for Guam Business Magazine Executive of the Year were:
• William D. Beery, vice president and general manager of Tutujan Hill Group Ltd.;
• Sanjay R. Dewan, president of Dewan Enterprises Inc. which does business as Port of Mocha Coffee House;
• Christopher K. Felix, president and principal broker of Century 21 Realty Management Co., Inc.;
• Siska S. Hutapea, president of Cornerstone Valuation Guam Inc.;
• James I. Oehlerking, CEO of Pacific Telecom Inc., which does business as IT&E;
• Annette T. Santos, dean of the School of Business and Public Administration at University of Guam;
• Steven M. Solberg, general manager of Outrigger Guam Beach Resort; and
• Keith J. Stewart, president of Pacific Rim Group of Companies and managing member of Isa Villas Partners Inc.
Source: Google News : https://www.postguam.com/news/local/black-construction-executive-wins-award/article_8cc850a6-f8cc-11e7-acab-8780d0fd2c56.html